A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try out this ‘Stumble Upon” web cult. It works a bit like this: you have a toolbar on your browser when you’re cruising the web, and when you see a site you like, you give it the ‘thumbs up’ sign. By adding your friends to the network (viral marketing??) you can share direct with your friends, or browse each other’s lists of cool sites.
After a few weeks, I’ve discovered some cool sites, so I’ll start sharing the best of them here. Because let’s face it – we all like to find cool shit online, yeah? Oh, and if anyone wishes to add me to their network, my SU username is Aurelius71.
- First is the world sunlight map – a real-time “photo” of the whole world, with clouds and day/night clearly shown, as it’s much easier than trying to work out timezone differences;
- Next, some amusing ones (or insightful, depending on your point of view) including the God FAQ, a collection of stupid exam answers (some of these are old, but some aren’t), some weird graffiti and
- a cool web-based star-map program;
- a good online speed-tester to find out how good your net connection is;
- a site that shows some people have too much time and imagination (tree sculptures); and
- a site examining some of the oddest artifacts that historians are still trying to explain.